Often you will come across a business that may have a domain name and website, but still use a Gmail, Yahoo, Rogers or Bell email address. There are many reasons why you should not use one of these addresses for business purposes or even personal use, as I will explain.
- These types of email addresses do not portray a professional business. An address like email@example.com exudes professionalism as they have registered the domain name and gone through the very simple process of setting up a professional email address. Also, people who receive your email address or business card with the email address on it, can immediately Google the domain name and check out your website.
- If you use an email address from your internet service provider, for example: Rogers or Bell, and you decide to leave them for another internet provider, you lose your email address. Just think of how many people out there have your Rogers or Bell email address in their contact list, maybe even some people you don’t realize. Three years down the road someone might go to contact you, and they end up getting a bounceback message saying your email address doesn’t exist anymore “unknown user”. Most people will not bother looking you up and will go to your competition. Also, this applies to even using your Bell or Rogers email for personal use. If you switch you have to go through the pain every time to alert all your contacts to change your address in their contact list.
- If you don’t setup a professional email address and you place it on all your business cards and other stationary, every time you switch email addresses you have to redo everything. This is a waste of money that could be better spent on your business.
- When you have your own domain name and email address, you have control over them. You can make up new addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- You build brand with your own domain name and email. Gmail is Gmail, but your own company email address will not be forgotten.
These are all great reasons why you should register your own domain name if you haven’t already, and setup your own professional email account. If you pick a proper registrar and web host you can register a domain name for as little as $15 per year and get a free email account. Sure there are cheaper domain name registrars, but many lack customer service and technical support, as I have come across from experience. Contact Ultimate Vision Web Design & Consulting and let’s get you a proper email address!